The distribution of winnings during poker tournaments

Poker is a game that is well known in major countries for its elitist character. It always brings together an impressive crowd thanks to its double stakes. Beyond its playful character it can also take on a lucrative character, which makes it even more exciting. But Poker being a team game, the winnings are to be divided between the players. But how is this distribution done?

How to calculate your winnings during a Poker tournament

Poker is one of the most challenging card games in fashion today. It requires a perceptive and fairly erudite mind. Although it is popular with many people, very few are able to play it. Poker is played to a very high standard. That goes without saying as long as there are pecuniary interests at stake. It is therefore imperative for every poker player to have a good grasp of the fundamental rules of the game. These rules include how winnings are calculated.

A game of poker is first and foremost an investment. The way in which winnings are calculated varies according to the type of game. The methods are not the same whether it is a tournament or a cash-game. Winnings in a tournament are called a return on investment. When you win an amount equal to your wager, your return on investment is 100%. If you win nothing, your ROI is -100%. The win is therefore expressed as a percentage of the wager.

The key to the distribution of winnings in a poker tournament

The distribution of winnings in a poker tournament is a delicate task. It involves modalities that give rise to much controversy. Regardless of the method of calculation, it can happen that some players do not receive a share. There are several ways of distributing winnings in a poker tournament depending on the type of tournament. The latter for its part depends on the number of players. The more players there are, the bigger the table gets. It can be a Multitable tournament with hundreds of players playing simultaneously or a Site&Go tournament. In the latter case, the number of players is smaller. There are usually about ten players, but in some Site&Go cases the number of players can vary between 2 and 30 players. In all cases, the distribution of winnings is done according to the number of players, the value of the ROI (return on investment) and sometimes even countries. The type of tournament depends on the number of players.

Generally speaking, there are two main types of winnings distribution. The most common is the fixed mode. Here, each player's share of the winnings is fixed in descending order of merit. If in a ten-player tournament with a buy-in of 20 euros, the total winnings will be 200 euros. Then, in the distribution, 50% of the winnings go to the first player. 60% of the second half goes to the second player. The remaining 40% of the second half goes to the third. This clearly means that the other players don't get any share of the loot. In other words, they are the losers of the game.